Thursday, April 16, 2009

Shifts in the wrestling fan landscape.

Just wanted to point out that I've been hearing some rather smarky chants on WWE programming that I used to only hear on ROH and other indy shows, and in early TNA events.

Batista returned to Raw to "welcome back" chants. That's an odd sign of genuine respect that you don't see from the WWE fanbase very often. It's especially odd since it's Batista, who the majority of hardcore wrestling fans flat out dislike.

I'm mad at myself for not remembering the specific match, but it was either the Hardy extreme rules match or the Money in the Bank ladder match at Wrestlemania, but I have heard the "This is awesome!" chant pop up. I find that amusing because I can remember an era on wrestling forums where people would look down on that chant as some sort of indy fan version of masterbation.

Go back and watch Unforgiven 2008. For a few minutes during the Smackdown scramble match, The Brian Kendrick was the WWE Champion. During those few minutes, CM Punk was still the reigning World Heavyweight Champion. For such a brief moment, two former indy standouts were the top two champions in North America. Sure, Punk had to vacate the belt later that night and Kendrick's title win wasn't official, since it was in the midst of the scramble match, but that still counts for something, right?

Just some random thoughts.

No comments: